Message from the Executive Vice President for Research (EVPR)
Dear Columbia University Faculty, Staff and Students:
I am pleased to make available to you the online edition of the Columbia University Health and Safety Manual. This Manual outlines our commitment to provide a safe and healthy workplace and to protect our environment.
Goals of Columbia University's Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) programs include:
- Developing and maintaining an effective environmental health and safety program;
- Minimizing risk of exposure to chemical, biological, radiological or physical hazards;
- Minimizing work related injury and illness;
- Minimizing risks to the environment; and
- Attaining these goals with a minimum burden on education, research activities and patient care.
With oversight from the Institutional Health and Safety Council and support and guidance from the Faculty Advisory Committee on Environmental Health & Safety, the University strives to promote best practices in safety and environmental stewardship in all education and research activities, while remaining compliant with applicable federal, state and local regulatory requirements, agreements and permits.
Please do not hesitate to contact EH&S @ www.ehs.columbia.edu with questions about this Manual or any aspect of environmental health and safety at Columbia University.
G. Michael Purdy, Ph.D.
Executive Vice President for Research
535 West 116th Street, 313 Low Library, Mail Code: 4310, New York, NY 10027, 212-854-1696