Certificate of Fitness Information
New York City Fire Department (FDNY) requires at least one person with a Certificate of Fitness for Supervision of Chemical Laboratories (C-14) be present in a laboratory unit when such laboratory is in operation. This code applies at all times including weekends, evenings and holidays. Laboratory personnel can obtain a C-14 through Columbia University EH&S or directly through the FDNY Headquarters in Brooklyn.
1. To take the on-campus C-14 test and to receive the C-14 certification through Columbia University EH&S the applicant must attend to a C-14 training class presented by EH&S and meet the following requirements:
All claimed experience must be post baccalaureate. Any experience gained prior to the receipt of the degree will not be accepted toward meeting the requirements to take the test at Columbia University.
NOTE: EH&S submits applications to the FDNY twice a month. The FDNY’s turnaround to mail the C-14 cards may take 2 – 3 weeks.
2. If the applicant doesn’t meet the above requirements, the application must be submitted and the test must be taken at the FDNY Headquarters in Brooklyn:
We encourage applicants attend EH&S’s C-14 training prior to visiting FDNY Headquarters in Brooklyn to prepare for the test and receives tips on the most efficient way to navigate the process.
After receiving your C-14 card from the FDNY in Brooklyn please email a clear photocopy of the card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NYC Fire Department (FDNY)
Public Certification Unit
9 MetroTech Center, 1st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Please fill out forms prior to the training. All information in red boxes on the forms is required.
Note: For International Students without a United States Social Security Number (SSN), please provide a copy of your valid VISA in lieu of a SSN.
Additional Information and Materials
Steps to Renew a C-14 (renewal form):
- A C-14 card is not automatically renewed. C-14 cards must be renewed every 3 years.
- Card holder will receive an email notification:
- 60 days before expiration date.
- 120 days after expiration date.
- 180 day after expiration date.
- To renew a C-14 card, please fill out the renewal form and submit it to email@example.com.
- EH&S can only renew C-14 cards less than 60 days prior to the expiration, but no more than 1 year past expiration.
- Please note that EH&S is not able to renew If a C-14 card is expired more than 1 year, please contact EH&S at firstname.lastname@example.org for instruction on applying for a new C-14 card. For more information on how to obtain a new C-14 card please.
- The C-14 card must be available in the laboratory for inspection by FDNY. EH&S requests that all C-14 cards be photocopied and posted in the laboratory for inspection.
- If you or your laboratory has moved to another campus please notify EH&S at email@example.com.
- If you wish not to renew the card, please notify EH&S at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Steps to Replace a Lost or Missing C-14 Card***
To replace your C-14 card issued prior to March 1, 2020:
The FDNY Indicates on their website:
To request a replacement certificate, submit the following in person or by mail to the NYC Fire Department (FDNY), Cashier’s Unit, 9 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn, NY 11201:
- A government-issued photo identification (such as a Driver’s License or Passport).
- The name on the ID must match the name on the certificate.
- Your social security number.
- Your mailing address.
- A personal check or money order in the amount of $5.00 made payable to the "Fire Department City of New York."
To replace your C-14 card issued on or after March 1, 2020
Contact EH&S at email@example.com.