Chemical Safety and Laboratory Procedures
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Chemical Segregation & Storage Chart
- Chemical Waste Pickup Form - This is for online filing of Chemical Waste. Fill out each applicable section by directly typing into the form fields and click the "Submit" button on bottom of form when complete. To clear the form, mouse over the "Reset" icon in the lower right corner.
- Handling Chemical Spills - How to handle a chemical spill
- Controlled Substances
- Creating Your Own Laboratory Container Labels
- Handling Mercury Spills - What to do if you have a mercury spill
- Information on Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) and Mercury
- Hazardous Waste Management Guidelines - Requirements, definitions, and general recommendations for the management of hazardous chemical waste.
- Health and Safety Manual
- Ethidium Bromide Disposal - Requirements and general recommendations for the destruction, decontamination, and disposal of ethidium bromide.
- Management of Osmium Tetroxide in the Laboratory - This policy applies to all laboratories using osmium tetroxide at Columbia University Health Sciences.
- Managing Peroxide Forming Chemicals in New York City - How to safely manage peroxide forming chemicals in New York City.
- SDS Links and Information - A great general information page regarding all things having to do with Safety Data Sheets. If you have never encountered an SDS and want a great primer, then this is the place to start. Maintained by Interactive Learning Paradigms, Incorporated.
- SDS-Search - A compilation of SDS collections of various universities, manufacturers and government agencies with evaluations of each.
- Training Schedule - Schedule of trainings and orientations provided by EH&S
- EPA U,P and D Lists - View the EPA's lists of hazardous chemicals here
- Right-to-Know Information - Read all about the reporting requirements associated with the Community Right-to-Know laws. This pertains to ALL laboratories at CUMC.
- SOP for Stench Chemicals
- Controlled Substance Licensing/Registration
- Guidelines for Short-term Visitors in Research-Related Activities
- LION - How to Manage Corrective Actions
Chemical Safety Procedures:
Equipment Safety Procedures and Guidance:
- Autoclave and Automated Equipment Washer (AEW) Safety Awareness
- Compressed Gas
- Chemical Fume Hood Use Procedures
- Laser Safety Procedures
- Refrigerator and Freezer Maintenance - Clean your coils!
- Unattended operation of equipment
Lab Moves, Renovations and Materials Management:
General Safety Items:
Please visit the EH&S Policies page for additional topics.